Today has felt very unusual so far – I popped to Morrisons for some essentials and they were operating on a one in one out basis! People were literally queuing around the corner – all 2ft apart from each other, of course. It’s the first time I have been out at all this week so it was all very surreal to witness.
I have already been having moments of extreme gratitude for my health but seeing this, looking at people in face masks and with gloves on. Every single person looked vulnerable to me. I felt completely vulnerable too. I felt like I wanted to come home and cook up a great big pile of veg! 🥔 Luckily, we had a big box of it delivered yesterday from the Grainger Market🥕
So, that’s what I did. I know it’s getting into warmer weather but I am worried about not being able to use perishables in time so I decided to get a bit creative and make a Stew while Skyping one of my best friends.
If you want to make one too (perfect for freezing in portions for easy, nutritious meals), the recipe is coming up 😘
- 🥩 Diced beef (or quorn, soya, etc.) – I used about 1 kg but you can use what you like!
- 🧅 One white onion (chunky slices)
- One leek (chunky slices)
- 🥔 Small bag of baby potatoes (halved)
- One parsnip (chunky slices)
- 🥕 A few carrots (peeled and cut into chunky slices)
- 2tbs Bovril
- Approx 350ml beef stock
- 🧂 Sea salt
- Black pepper
- 🧄 Garlic salt
- Coconut oil
- Mushed garlic (I use lots!)
- Shake beef into salts and pepper to season
- Brown the beef in the coconut oil
- Add stock to browned beef (mixing in the beef/ coconut oil fluids)
- Put all veggies and potatoes into slow cooker pot/ into stew pot
- Add beef and stock to pot
- Stir in Bovril
- Cook on low heat for a few hours until all cooked to your liking (check on progress occasionally
I personally will be having garlic bread with mine but serve yours with what you like.
For extra health benefits – talk to a friend and /or dance around the kitchen while preparing this. 💃🏼
👩🍳 Disclaimer 👩🍳: I am not and have never been any sort of chef. I only passed Catering in school because my course work was excellent so please don’t judge harshly! 🙈
I just want to show a recipe that will use your perishables rather than wasting them and that you could potentially get children to help with.